Newest Survey Data Now Available!
AHA Annual Survey Database™ is a comprehensive census of United States hospitals based on the AHA Annual Survey of Hospitals. The Database is a reliable resource for health services research and trends analyses; and is cited by Health Affairs, U.S. News & World Report, Statistical Abstract of the U.S., Consumers Union, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and many peer review journals.
Comprised of nearly 1,000 data points, the AHA Annual Survey Database offers facility-level insights on the following topics:
- Organizational structure
- Facilities and services
- Beds and utilization
- Physician arrangements
- System affiliation
- Geographic indicators
- Accreditations and approval codes by credentialing organizations
Use the Database for trends analyses.
The AHA Annual Survey data collection follows a methodology consistent over time, making it an ideal resource for time-series analyses. Databases are available from 1980 to the present.
- Examine hospital characteristics against health care transformation and policy changes.
- Explore physician models by hospital size, ownership-type, and geography.
- Identify the change in hospital and health care system affiliation over time.
- Identify the types of hospitals adopting bundled payment models, and establishing medical homes.
- Evaluate the location of hospitals by geographic indicators such as urban/rural; metropolitan statistical area; county, and more.
- Use common identifiers, such as the Medicare Provider number, to analyze AHA Annual Survey data in conjunction with public data sets.
Included with the data package are a file layout; technical notes; and a reconciliation of entities from one survey year to the next, indicating the reason for the change (merger, closure, changed to outpatient facility, etc.)
FY 2015 survey instrument
FY 2015 File Layout
Data Collection Methods
A signed license agreement is required at the time of purchase.
To discuss your data needs contact us at 866-375-3633.